[TenTec] 6 Meter transverter

Roger Sellers rsellers@mail.rkd.snds.com
Thu, 14 Aug 1997 08:44:40 -0500

Hello,
  I've been thinking strongly about getting into 6 meter. I've been bouncing
the idea of buying  a 6 meter radio or building a transverter. I've never
seen a transverter so I have no idea how they connect to a radio. They
would seem a less expensive way to go over buying another radio.
  What I don't know or understand is how they best connect to another
radio. For example, I have a Paragon 1 HF radio also  Icom and Yeasu 2
meter mobile radios & HT's. Do any of these radios need to be modified (
internally ) to work with a 6 meter transverter? How difficult or
permanent are the modifications? Can a unit with a transverter attached
still work on it's original bands? Will it work with a TNC for packet over 6
meters? .....And other numerous thoughts.
    In an effort to learn something new, I'm willing to try building a kit from
scratch but reluctant to go mucking about the inside of a known working
radio. My knowledge of electronics is not too extensive.
   Any thoughts or comments here are appreciated. My first thoughts on
buying a transverter would be a TenTec product so I though this would
be a fair subject to broach here.
Thanks in advance,
Roger Sellers  KB9LBU
email: rsellers@snds.com