[TenTec] Omni V Assistance Requested

David H. Hammond DHHDEH@concentric.net
Thu, 14 Aug 1997 21:05:44 -0400

Hi Everyone,

I need your help in trying to fix an intermittent problem with an Omni
V.

I recently sold my Omni V to a ham in the Mid-West. The rig was shipped
last Monday via FEDEX . It arrived at the new owner's Qth without much
fuss at all. There are alternatives to UPS but...$$$.

It left my Qth in perfect physical and electrical condition and arrived
at the new owners in mostly the same way, with one exception.  It
refuses to transmit at any output level above .9 watt, that's right less
than one watt. He has already made several QSO's with it at this output
level so the radio apprears to transmit ok but only at what appears to
be driver output power level. He is a QRP enthusiast but not to this
extreme!

All of the obvious things have been checked out such as meter switch
position in FWD, RF Power fully clockwise, Rx muting on tx changeover
etc.

Then I had him open the top and bottom covers and look for connectors
missing from their positions.  I had him push down on all of the molex
connectors on all of the boards. Just in case one came out in transit.

Then he removed the #220 filter (the only filter installed) on the 9mhz
board and reseated it to insure it had not come loose   I am now going
to have him press in all of the molex connectors on the back of the
radio's front panel to make sure signal from the RF Power pot is
properly in line.

Nothing yet has worked to restore full tx output power. Looking for
suggestions before it gets shipped to TenTec for service. I really doubt
that the finals have given up the ghost....but??? I'm not sure how much
test equipment the new owner has so we are trying this by eye first.

Tentec suggested that the TX Out/TX EN jumper be checked for continuity.
Anyone ever had that RCA jumper bar short out on them?

So here I am trying to sort out a gremlin long distance and looking for
any help or suggestions that might save a trip to Sevierville and me
some money. I never had any problem like this with the rig while at my
Qth.

Would appreciate getting your e-mail about what should be tried next.

Thanks in advance.

73 fer ne de N1LQ--Dave