[TenTec] corsair vs omni6

Clark Savage Turner WA3JPG turner@safety.ics.uci.edu
Mon, 18 Aug 1997 19:04:11 -0700

>  Just so I can consider myself enlightened, how about some of you guys
> telling me how much better the omni6 and 6plus is than my old corsair2.
> I have never had the pleasure of operating either. Is the receiver that
> much better than what I have? Come on be honest. My operating is about
> half ssb, half cw.

Hi Paul:

I have one of each, and have had them side by side for some time.
The real difference is the OMNI VI enabling the NAR filter position
that gives you not only the one 8 pole filter in each IF, but
allows one more in the 1st IF giving you 22 poles of filtering with
the 500 Hz filters.

You might also notice that the OMNI VI does not have audio VBT that
the Corsair does, I like that in the Corsair.  The OMNI VI uses a
digital low pass filter in the audio section, which is OK, but not
as nice as the Corsair filter.

The OMNI VI has a lot of other features like memories and auto
notch and stuff, but for the basic receiver performance, I think
the one extra crystal filter is the big difference.  I have thought
to add another filter position in my Corsair's 9 MHz position to
make them look more the same, doesn't seem to be a hard job,
just requires some thought and neat work to make it work well.

Clark
WA3JPG