[TenTec] Omni-6 Plus Upgrade

Del Seay seay@Alaska.NET
Thu, 28 Aug 1997 06:20:22 -0700

I'd like to pass along my observations on the Plus upgrade for
those who are contemplating.

First, I made a mistake ordering the 1.8 kHz 2nd filter for ssb.
I don't use ssb that much, and the filter is far too steep,
with the resulting audio being extremely limited. My fault, not
Ten-Tec's.
A couple of years ago, I bought and played with one of the high
end DSP units, and was not impressed. Now, the built in DSP
in the OMNI appears about the same. The low pass filter works well,
the auto notch is great for the phone operators, but I have yet
to find a signal that I can copy with the dsp, that I can't copy
without. I guess it could be considered a nice toy, but not of
great help in serious dx chasing.

The additional filtering has really sharpened the receiver, and is
well worth the upgrade. I have 2-500 Hz filters, and find that it is
great. I can't imagine ever needing, or being able to use a 250 hz
filter with it.

There is one item that has been dropped from the menu - to my dismay.
The ability to change the cw offset was great in the original. Now,
it appears we must be satisfied with 670 Hz.

Now - the built-in keyer seems better, although I doubt that there was
any intentional change. Probably just a result of the new firmware.
However, it does still change speed as the cpu works with other
functions. Very disturbing to a guy who has to keep a real close grip
on his hand or send undistinguishable garbage. It veries about 2 wpm
at the 30 wpm rate. I think that the cpu is probably too busy to keep
up with all it is trying to control.

All in all, I am very satisfied, and there were no surprises. Everything
appears to be just as advertised. Another damned fine rig. Think I'll
keep it!

de KL7HF