[TenTec] TT service

Steve Massey N6TT@worldnet.att.net
Thu, 18 Dec 1997 02:28:29 -0800

-----Original Message-----
From: tom <ke3rx@erols.com>
To: tentec@contesting.com <tentec@contesting.com>
Date: Wednesday, December 17, 1997 8:06 PM
Subject: [TenTec] TT service

>i just received my VI+ from TT service,6 days from their dock to my
>door!!! they replaced 2 crystals on the TX audio board,a speaker,aligned
>the BFO,and checked all specs. on-air reports confirmed they did a GREAT
>job!!!!!the "acid test" was when my buddy with a FT1000D confirmed it
>sounded good!
>
>Oh yea,best of all..........NO CHARGE on the invoice! happy holidays!!!
>
>                                               tom sweeney ke3rx
>                                               ke3rx@erols.com

Hi Tom,
Congrats on the six day turn around and no charge....Sounds like you had a
broken radio if they had to repair it....My VI plus  broke within a week
from coming back from the factory--That was the third time it had to be
fixed in the two years I bought it new,each time it was down one month and
cost a fortune. I could post dozens of stories from other hams that would
confirm my statements.. Just read the post today here on the reflector from
the guy that sent in His VI for the upgrade, took a month and came back
scratched on the top and a nice burr on the rit/xit knob that He wants to
take a file too :-) Guess thats better than sending it back for another
month, but as He said minor frustrations ... Also the  Titan 425 has taken a
crap twice-The last time the VI plus was in the other day they  also turned
it around in six day to California with No charge, but then again a new or
upgraded radio that breaks right away shouldnt have any charges dont you
agree? You can thank guys  who pitched a bitch about a companies service to
make them walk the extra mile....Believe me I know that to be true as I had
much trouble with US Towers a year ago, and by the time I put it up on the
different reflectors I had Bruce the owner calling me and sending personal
special delievery letters  telling me I cost them 5 towers the first day and
many more in the days to come, and pleading with me to make a rebutal after
bending over back words to fulfilling there orginal commitement . Ten-Tec
also followed up! :-) I had dozens of email from my orginal post asking for
details on TT as I did with US Towers --- Dont know how long youve been a
ham or owned TT but six days is not there norm....The power of the internet
and cold black and white facts go along ways.....And I couldnt agree with
you more that they did a super job as you said the true test was when your
buddy with the FT1000D that you  must respect according to your statements
of "Great Job " & "Acid Test" told you it sounded good.....I have wall to
wall American made gear, mostly Ten-Tec as I prefer to buy American, Except
for my FT1000D which cost me less 2 yrs used then a new VI plus cost.....I
dont work SSB been on CW for 34 yrs straight, but I can assure you the
FT1000D is a better SSB rig then the VI plus on SSB, on CW they are pretty
close, and thats not from fancy readings of noise floor stuff /etc, thats
from OJT (on the job training) ....But the VI plus  is noted for its superb
CW performance....Sure is nice tho two have the two rx, 200 watts,general
coverage, built in tuner and many other features....Makes my rack mounted VI
plus, noisey titan 425 and noisey automatic antenna coupler Very out of
date.....But as I said Im an American guy so as long as they keep fixing
them when they break in a timely manner  Im happy...Even if I have to go
back on the band wagon agn and call a spade a spade!
Good Luck and Im sure you will enjoy your VI plus, hopefully you only work
CW tho...
Just my oppion ---

Merry Xmas and God Bless!

Steve N6TT       N6Ten-Tec
Private collector of Telegraph-Wireless Instruments!
http://www.telegraph-wireless.com
under construction

Think I will put my OMNI D , Remote 243 vfo , and 255 power supply / speaker
up for sale of trade.