A couple more questions...

Ronald D Rossi rrossi@btv.ibm.com
Thu, 16 Jan 1997 13:22:36 -0500

>>>"Ogborn, Roy W" said:
> 2) The 20amp Astron power supply is rated at 16 amp continuous, 50% duty
> cycle, 20amp CUI(?).  The OMNI D manual states it draws a max of 18.5

I use a TT PS and with max power I see VERY near 20A. For digital I would back
off a bit.

> 3) The OMNI calls for a high impedance mic to be connected.  What
> happens if I connect a low impedance (600 ohm) mic to the jack?

I have hooked a variety of mics up to my D. I now have a pre amp in line with
all of them. TT said that the internal amp was plenty, but I did not find that
to be the case except with electret mics (internally amplified already). I run
with about a gain of 60 and the drive set at about 09:00 (15 meters is about
10:30 and 10 meters requires nearly 13:30) using a Radio Shack dynamic mic as
well as the dynamic on my Telex headset. I do terminate the the line to match
the op amp output impedance and reduce the noise pick up on the cable.

I am using a National Semiconductor mic pream op amp. It has at least 60dB of
power supply ripple rejection build in...nice chip. I just looked at their web
site and it doesn't look like they offer it anymore :(.

--
73 de KK1L ex N1PBT...ron (rrossi@btv.ibm.com) <><
Ron Rossi H/P SRAM Engineering -- IBM Microelectronics

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/TenTecFAQ.html