[TenTec] Omni VI vs. VI Plus

Paul Helbert phelbert@rica.net
Thu, 17 Jul 1997 08:48:39 -0400

Peter A. Klein wrote:

> Hi, folks!  I'm new to this list, so if there's an FAQ that answers
> these
> questions, point me to it.
>
> I'm seriously contemplating getting an Omni 6, maybe used, maybe new.
> already own a Timewave DSP-599zx, so I'm not sure that the new Omni 6
> Plus
> DSP options would do me any good.  I'm not a contester or competitive
> DXer, though I do like to work DX, such as I can from the Pacific
> Northwest with a dipole and vertical. :-)
>
> Currently I use an Icom 751a with 2.4 and 2.1 kHz SSB filters and two
> 500
> Hz CW filters.  I'm not unhappy with the 751a.  But I would like to
> use my
> CW filters on AFSK, and I'd like a less noisy receiver with better
> close-in strong signal immunity.
>
> I've read that the Omni 6 has one of the best, quietest receiver there
> is.
> I'm more concerned with really good basic receiver performance than
> sub
> receivers, spectral displays, hundreds of memories, and the like.
> (You
> can see why I might be a Ten-Tec kind of guy!)
>
> Questions:
>
> 1.  What are the differences are between the Omni 6 and 6 Plus? I've
> seen
> the current QST ad, I need the technical details.
>
> 2.  There are 3 options for upgrading the Omni 6 with some of the
> features
> of the 6 Plus.  What exactly are these options?
>
> 3.  I have the Jan 1993 QST review of the Omni 6.  Can you point me to
> any
> other reviews of the Omni 6, the 6 Plus, or the upgrade options?
>
> 4.  I already own a top-of-the-line outboard DSP box--the Timewave
> 599zx.
> What would the Omni 6 Plus give me that an Omni 6 (standard) and my
> Timewave wouldn't?  It seems on the surface that getting an Omni 6
> would
> be ideal for my situation, but I may not have all the details.  Are
> there
> other changes in the 6 Plus, beyond the extra 9 mHz narrow filter
> position?
>
> 5. One negative I've heard is that Ten-Tec radios tend to *need* their
>
> manufacturer's world-class service.  In particular, I've heard a few
> horror stories about intermittent problems.  Is this your experience,
> or
> is it just nasty rumors?  And can most problems that do occur be
> solved
> with a board swap, without having to send the whole radio in?

Well Peter,  I've owned a good many Ten Tec rigs.  Never had to send one
back for any reason.  Never had to do a board swap.  Each time I had a
problem I've been talked through the trouble shooting on the telephone
and sent the part (free) in the next day's mail.  Several times no part
has been needed.  Once they sent me some contact cleaner and
preservative free of charge to use on the band switch of an Argosy that
I used mobile.   Now would you like to hear about the "service" I've had
on the Kencomsu radios I used to own?   I think the nasty rumors are
mostly just "sour grapes".