[TenTec] Why not rig in the middle

Joseph Koppi jkoppi@pclink.com
Sun, 22 Jun 1997 12:38:47 -0600

What an interesting discussion this is!  I read with interest the comments
of Art, N2KA, as he reminds us of the realities of life.  I quite agree.
He's right when he says most hams turn their noses up at Ten-Tec gear.
Just yesterday on a local swap net a guy got on and told those listening
about the reflectors for the Japanese manufacturers, but not a word about
TT.

Also have to agree with Joe, BV/N0AIT, that this whole thread was mostly in
fun.  But there are a lot of good comments coming from this group, even if
in fun, and I'll bet TT is paying attention.

TT certainly is not everybody's first choice.  But even so, I would hope
there is still a profitable market for TT radios, however small.  I guess
the company has to figure that out.  And while I've never owned a
manufacturing company, I have worked for manufacturers for many years.
It's a sweet position to have a healthy backlog (demand for product) of
orders.

I like TT's approach to the Titan Gold.  It asked the amateur community to
commit to the production of the amplifier by placing advanced orders.
Amateurs responded.  TT built the amps and sold out--I presume at a profit.

If TT decided to build a "rig in the middle," I wonder if it could take a
similar approach.  It would have to bear the R&D costs, but it could go to
the amateur community for purchase commitments, as with the Titan Gold.
That would be a way to determine whether the rig could be manufacturered
profitably.  TT is lucky:  it is very close to its customer base and that
is an advantage that other manufacturers simply do not have.  I hope that
portends well for TT and for those of us who love these great radios.

Joe Koppi, W0SU
W0SU@pclink.com
St. Paul, MN