[TenTec] Scout experiences...

Paul R. Valko prvalko@Oakland.edu
Sat, 8 Mar 1997 10:53:33 -0500 (EST)

sheeze...

Most of you know me as one of the world's foremost collectors/users of Ten
Tec gear.  A week ago a stumbled across a fellow selling a 555 Scout to
help pay for his latest yaekencom.  Puzzling as that was, I bought the
Scout from him.

Immediately upon applying power, I noticed a VERY annoying whistle coming
from the speaker.  This is there even with the audio cranked full CCW.
Obviously, some CPU or counter noise getting in there some how.

Friday I called Paul down in Seiverville and he fired up a Scout on the
test bench to let me listen to the whistle coming from it.  Typical GREAT
TT support.  But, *that* Scout had the same noise and it was considered
"normal!"

Paul suggested that some of the wires inside could be fiddled with (love
that Smoky Mountain talk) and reduced.  Fine, I try that... I *DO*
understand that the Scout is a "compromise rig" but MAN, I expected
better.

So this morning I try it out on 20M CW and I notice the QSK.  The Scout
QSK is typical TenTec silent but if it were not for the fact that there is
NO relay noise, I'd swear it was VOX keying.  There is *NO* sound between
characters at 20-25 WPM and the receiver does not pop back immediately
after keying.  There seems to be a slight delay.  This is not at all what
I expect from a Ten Tec and I *HAVE* heard other folks rave about that
Scout's QSK.

I wonder if they have EVER run a QSK rig in the past?  It is in no way in
the same class as even a Century 21, let alone a Triton IV or my trusty
Corsair.  Every other TT rig I have, can easily hear background signals
between the fastest "dits."

What's up with this, fellow Scout owners?  Please email me directly.

I've NEVER had to send any radio in for service but this one is begging me
to have it visit Dollywood, even if it's just to see if Ten Tec will say
that this Scout is "Normal."

Sincere Thanks to you all, and I'll let everyone know what I find out.

73 =paul= w8kc
collector of Ten Tecs and other fine plastics

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/TenTecFAQ.html