Fwd: [TenTec] More on Heil headsets (was connector pin assignments)

Chester Alderman chestert@pressroom.com
Mon, 15 Sep 1997 19:58:43 -0400

>>  Don't be too disappointed when you plug in your Heil headset. Heil

>headsets

>> are designed to work with audio voltage type outputs like the Kenwoods.

>Icom

>> and TenTec radios do not drive the headphones with very loud audio.

Well, I don't think your confused. It may be that my ears, after six years on an aircraft carrier flight, just dont hear like they used to! My Omni VI don't drive the Heil Pro headset worth a hoot, ever if I turn the audio pot up past the 3:00 position! But because the Heil Pro headset is so comfortable, I still wanted to use them. I removed the Heil headphone pieces and replaced them with the headphone pieces from an old pair of Telex headsets. Now I almost get nosebleed if I turn the audio pot up over the 10:00 position.

Just another case of 'to each his own'?

>Excuse me - I'm confused. My Omni VI drives the Heil headphones fine (and my

>XYL

>sez I'm getting hard of hearing!) About 8:00 to 8:30 position on the AF Gain

>does the

>trick. Just another opinion...

>By the way, I built an "interface box" for the Heil mic plug to the radio,

>and in limited

>SSB work, it seems to work FB also. With my old rig, TT Delta, not enuf mic

>drive

>(different story.)

>73's All,

>Marty - W7LEJ (Spokane, WA)