[TenTec] Omni 5 (used) OR Scout (new) - Best baptism?

W9SN nw9g@netusa1.net
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 22:29:19 -0500

Eric N Boe wrote:

> I'll start off by thanking the group for their patence in my quest for
> the next toy.
>
> Question posed to the group:
>
> For a first non-QRP TenTec rig, would you recommend a new Scout or a used
> Omni-5?  Thoughts, both objective and subjective, would be eagerly
> digested.
>
> Eric (K0AVW)

To me, that question is the equivelent of asking:
"Would I rather drive a chevette or a cadillac"?
Omni V is clearly the winner, but look at the price tag attached.
The old saying goes, you get what you pay for.
The Omni V is selling for around double the price of the Scout used.
Should not take long to figure that one out.
I am not sure why Lane, KM3G, seems displeased with the Omni V.
I've had mine for 5 years and told the wife to burry it with me.
It clearly is the sweetest sounding rig I've had, (I've had lots).

Good luck...and keep Ten Tec'n.....!
                                Steve Narducci
                        Amateur Radio Station -  W9SN
                          All Ten Tec Equiptment