[TenTec] OMNI VI and Contesting

Ken Kinyon W7TS@ibm.net
Mon, 17 Aug 1998 17:38:23 -0600

Hi Tim,
Here is my two cents worth.  First of all, I work 99%CW and find both 250hz
filters well worth it.  I have 1.8Khz, 500hz and 250hz in 6.3mhz IF and 500hz
and 250hz in N-1 and N-2,  Most of the time I use both 500Hz filters, but quite
often resort to both 250hz filters when QRM or QRN is bad. I may be lucky, but I
notice no signal lose with both 250hz's in. I have heard others complain of
this.  The NR(DSP) button is amazing at pulling signals out of the noise.
Here is what I have done to turn this into what I think would be a killer
contest rig. ( I work during contests, but don't compete if you understand.)  I,
first of all, have the Hercules II.  When interfaced with the Omni-VI+ with
proper cable, it turns it into a 500 watt QSK transceiver.  Nothing to do to the
amp at all, it follows the transceiver from band to band.  This is enough power
for 90% of the time.
I also have a Titan.  I have wired the station by using 2 12v DC dowkey relays
to switch the amp switching lines (TX Out and TX enable) and the RF in and OUT
from the Titan to the Hercules whenever the Hercules is turned on.
Therefore you can be running a frequency on 20m for instance using 1500w. Just
by turning on the  Hercules you can QSY with 500w to any other band almost
immediately. Work your multiplier and turn off the Hercules and hit the band
button on OMNI-VI and you are back on 20 with 1500w again.  If nothing else, its
a lot of fun.
The OMNI-VI+ is my third Ten-Tec transceiver.  I first had a Paragon and traded
for an OMNI-VI when they came out. This spring, I traded the Omni-VI for a VI+.
I have used a lot of the Japanese rigs and wouldn't trade my Ten-Tec equipment
for any of them.
73,
Ken W7TS

Kenneth E.  Kinyon