[TenTec] T-Kit Receiver #1254

Stephen Mosier mosier@uncg.edu
Mon, 2 Feb 1998 10:28:59 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

On Mon, 02 Feb 1998 09:33:27 -0500 "Jimmy D. Roller" <jdroller@tricon.net>
wrote:

> I completed the receiver kit Friday and had the weekend to see how it
> it was a joy to build. If you don't have strong lighting on the work
> area and some kind of magnification, you had better have the eyes of
> Superman. This is not a knock on the kit, but a result of just how small
> components have gotten in the past several years.

I built the CMOS Super Keyer II years ago and discovered my eyes couldn't
handle things that small any more.  After messing it up, I got a new board and
a magnifier light and got through it OK.

On another note, I have an old Hallicrafters that I listen to SW on, but have
often thought of a newer rcvr.   The unsettled question that hangs in my mind
is whether or not to get synchronous detection, a la the expensive Drake rcvr.
Does anyone have any thoughts on adding synchronous detection to the TenTec
kit?  I think there was a synchronous detector project in QST a few years ago.

steve - W3GRG