[TenTec] Re: [Icom] Ten-Tec Omni-VI Plus vs ICOM 781 or 775DSP??

JOE and TAM BV/N0IAT joentam@transend.com.tw
Sat, 31 Jan 1998 06:57:37 +0800 (CST)

Hi Sandy,
I believe the Icom 781 is not as good as the Omni 6+ if you plan to run an
amplifier using ceramic tubes.  The IC781 has a nasty "spike" on initial
key-up that has been known to damage and/or trip amp protection circuits.
The IC781 could not be used successfully with the Alpha 89 amp, for
example, due to protection circuit tripping during cw operation despite
adjusting the rf-output of the ic781 down.

This is a well documented problem of the IC781, though Icom never issued a
fix for it.

Clearly, if you like CW, the Ten Tec is far superior at the higher speeds
if you run QSK full breakin than the IC781.

I've not compared the 775DX2 to the Omni 6+ so can't speak for that rig.

73,
Joe