[TenTec] Argonaut RIT problem....

JimN0OCT@aol.com JimN0OCT@aol.com
Thu, 2 Jul 1998 10:20:01 EDT

Hi guys n gals,

Been lurking here for awhile, and enjoy all the conversations, fixes and
praise for TT gear.  I now have a problem with my Argonaut '509 [my only piece
of TT gear, but hopefully that will change soon!].  The RIT [I believe it is
called Offset Tone Control in the '509 manual] control, when in the off
position, does not have the proper offset in order to "net" a received signal.
When the RIT is on, I can net the received signal so that a QSO can take
place.  Here is some additional info:

 - All the voltages on the control board, as specified in the 509 manual, are
correct within limits.

 - Adjusting the offset adjust pot on the control board [with the RIT off]
will change the received signal so that it is now "netted", but the transmit
offset is still out of range.

 - Checking the output of the oscillator board shows that the injection
frequency does not change between TX and RX with the RIT off.  With the RIT on
and in a position to net an incoming signal, the TX and TX change about
700-800 Hz [as would be expected].

Help!  I need some guidance.  My summary is that the offset is working when
the RIT is turned on, but isn't working when the RIT is turned off.  This is
further supported by the fact that the offset voltage going to the oscillator
does not change between TX and RX with the RIT off, but does change with the
RIT on.

Any help will be greatly appreciated--I really like my '509, and hope to get
it back on the air soon.

73, Jim n0oct

jimn0oct@aol.com