[TenTec] Century 21 PTO Repair

Walter S Delesandri walt@jove.acs.unt.edu
Thu, 9 Jul 1998 13:17:20 -0500 (Central Daylight Time)

As a ham of 25 years, 75% CW on HF, I have mixed emotions about this
discussion.  I *LOVE* the RF and QSK performance of T-T gear.  Best I've
ever used, BY FAR.
However, as a technician by day (NOT ham radio), I have to admit that
the longevity of the T-T dial drive is deplorable, as is the quality
of their enclosures, particularly on the older gear.  I also use Collins,
Drake, Atlas (!!- I love 'em) and some other boatanchor gear from time to
time.  The various VFO drives/dial assemblies have their plusses and minusses,
but Ten-Tec-- give me a break!!

All the other gear I named, as well as some I haven't, either has NO
VFO drive problems, ever, or can be cured by cleaning/lube--NO NEW PARTS.

Tentec is to be praised for their support. However, I believe that this
support is NECESSARY for them to continue selling gear.  Also, T-T gear
was (is?) NOT CHEAP.  When the tritons were new, they were expensive compared
to gear of the poor construction quality that they exhibited.  The
company is wonderful, their RF/user interface performance second to none.
But how difficult is it to design a dial drive?  Look at Collins, Heath, or
even a Swan 240 or Hammarlund.  Two chamfered(SP) washers, and a spring.  NOT
rocket science.  Even the Atlas piece of crap with it's string OUTLASTS A T-T!!

WE LOVE TenTec.  Just let them quit selling replacements for these crappy
VFO drives and see how much you like them in a few years.  Can you NOT see
your Corsair II as a paperweight??  We need to let 'em know that they
BETTER continue their support of these rigs, because unlike Collins/Drake/etc.
you MUST have their support to keep the damn things on the air.
Thanks for the space, just had to vent after seeing ANOTHER bad PTO drive
last week......
73, Walt
On Thu, 09 Jul 1998 13:02:04 -0400 Chester Alderman
<chestert@pressroom.com> wrote:h