[Fwd: [TenTec] DSP & COMPUTER NOISE]

Carter Grabarczyk k8vt@ameritech.net
Mon, 20 Jul 1998 19:25:07 -0400

--------------A3EEDB4504937830DA2C7ABC

Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 19:22:54 -0400
From: Carter Grabarczyk <k8vt@ameritech.net>
To: geraldj@ames.net
Subject: Re: [TenTec] DSP & COMPUTER NOISE

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson, P.E. wrote:

> While the green and black wires are shorted together at the main panel,

Don't you mean green and WHITE? I believe black is "hot" and white is
"neutral". Major league fireworks or at least instantly blown protective
device if black and green are tied together.

> that's only a DC short and there could easily be RF noise between them
> so a capacitor between them in the offending box CAN be of benefit.
> There can be up to 100 feet or more of loop to be an antenna or to have
> impedance to ground.

True, but not necessarily relevant (see below)

> If they are tied together at the receptacle that's a violation of the
> National Electrical Code and a distinct safety hazard.

Absolutely correct- but I don't think the original poster meant to put
the capacitors in the utility/outlet box/receptacle box on the wall, but
rather was talking about within the computer case. To re-iterate, a
capacitor from the green wire to ground (within the computer case) would
just be shorted, as the green wire is (should be) already grounded  in
the case.

The point of a capacitor from each conductor to ground and ACROSS each
conductor (the black and white) is the old
transverse/longitudinal/common mode noise (or as we say in the phone
company, longitudinal noise and noise metallic). Please note that this
is the way the over-voltage devices in all good AC surge protectors are
wired.

Your mileage may vary...   :-)

Regards,
73/Carter/K8VT