[TenTec] QRV

Chuck Murcko chuck@topsail.org
Wed, 04 Mar 1998 11:18:44 -0500

Al Scanandoah wrote:

> This isn't likely to do any harm to the radio, but it'll sure do a number
> on your electric bill.  I believe a typical linear 20A DC supply consumes
> around 400w just while sitting idle.  I frequently leave my 1A Argonaut
> supply on for months at a time, though...

Let's see, 13.8V at 0.5A (pretty loud AF gain setting on receive) is 6.9
watts. Divide by 0.7 (assume a low efficiency on the power supply) and I
get 9.86 watts. That won't even cause a blip on my power bill.

The tradeoff is stability vs. component aging, basically. OTOH, you do
save some by having less on/off cycling and associated transients.

73, KE3KR
--
chuck
Chuck Murcko            The Topsail Group             West Chester PA