[TenTec] Converting a Scout to an Argo?

William K Hibbert wb2vuo@juno.com
Sun, 08 Mar 1998 20:07:56 EST

Greetings from the Depths of the Great Bergen Swamp of WNY.

I am aquiring a Scout 555 from the estate of a ham in BARK, Virgil,
KF2XT, and want to convert it to an Argo 556.

>From the book, it looks easy enough, removing the 50 watt PA module, and
changing out 3 parts on the LLD board to set the SWR and ALC to the 5
watt level, but has anyone done this?

I realize that I can just re-set the power on the Scout to 5 watts, but
this will result in a tootal current draw of over 3 Amps for 5 Watts
while the true Argo draws less than 1.8 Amps for the same power out, much
easier on the power budget.

Also, will Ten Tec sell a "Replacement" Argo front panel to make the
conversion complete?

Inquiring minds and all that...

72/73, Keith, WB2VUO, 100% QRP from the Depths of the Great Bergen Swamp
"My night light runs more power than my Rig!!!"

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]