[TenTec] Early Paragon.......

k8cv@juno.com k8cv@juno.com
Mon, 4 May 1998 01:24:44 GMT

Hi People.......

After the post on audio pop on first digit in the Omni V , I decided to
try the same fix on my early Paragon 1. I think my serial # is around
135. Also wanted to get it down to qrp levels if possible.

First the pop issue. Resistor R78 that Steve Ellington mentioned is R-90
on MY paragon IF / AF board. Put a 100K resistor to gnd from it , as he
recommended, and that fixed my pop on first character. Radio sounds
great!

Next the qrp mod. Went looking for R-44 as mentioned by Scott Robbins on
the 2nd mixer board. My board is NOT like the one in the manual so this
fix may work only on early Paragon 1's. I found U-1 P-6 and traced it to
a resistor that was already 10K but it is in the position on the board
that calls out R-39 and the other side of this R-39 goes to the emitter
of a transistor that is not even on the schematic! I paralleled the 10K
(R-39) resistor with another 10K resistor by tacking it on top of the
original. Now my power will go down to 5 watts. I did not have to re set
the high limit as it did not seem to change. I still get 90 watts full
power out, so I'm happy with this mod .

Your milage may differ.........be careful out there, as things are not
always as the manual / schematic says! ......... :-)

Walt K8CV

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]