[TenTec] Dual Receive Uses

Peter Inskeep pinskeep@iglou.com
Thu, 14 May 1998 09:31:06 -0400

Hi TenTec Gang,

My Delta 580 rig has the matching outboard VFO with simultaneous same band
dual receive capability.  My primary mode is to chase DX on CW (chase
often, catch - occasionally), and mostly on 20 meters.  Most of my antennas
have been dipoles.  Only recently did I invest in a Lightning Bolt quad,
but being up 20 feet in the air at the bottom of a hill does not make it a
power house.

The point being that I am invariably outgunned by others chasing the dx.
However, if I can follow the dx station pattern, and get my transmitter
right on the freq. of the last station the dx called, I stand a much better
chance of making the contact.  The dual receive outboard vfo enables me to
do that.  Is there a lot of qrm from listening to both frequencies?  Sure,
but I am able to make contacts that I am sure I otherwise would not be able
to make.

Before I had the outboard vfo I used my venerable old 75A4 as my outboard
VFO.  It worked beautifully, but the TenTec remote vfo is more flexible, a
wee bit smaller, and matches the Delta 580 a bit better.  In my experience,
as second rig on a second antenna is not a bad solution to the second
receiver question, keeping in mind the need for a relay to kill the receive
when one is transmitting.

Thanks & 73's,

Pete
NO2D