[TenTec] ARGOSY II FEEDBACK

Caitlyn M. Martin cait.martin@ibm.net
Fri, 30 Oct 1998 17:13:32 -0500

Hi,

I chose the Argo (basically a five watt Scout) over the Argosy II for
the following reasons:

-The Scout is quite a bit smaller and lighter.

-The Argosy does not cover 12, 17, or 160 meters.  12 and 17 are
important to me.

-The Jones filter is fantastic for the SSB operator.  It's incredibly
effective for sifting through QRM by dropping off adjacent signals.  I
don't know how well it performs on CW, since it won't go quite as narrow
as a conventional narrow CW filter.

I got to play with (and borrow) a friend's Scout, and I knew I liked it.
I used an Argosy at two different field days and liked it too, though I
didn't use it nearly as much as I did the Scout.  If it had the band
coverage I wanted, I might well have gone with the Argosy, since I
dislike the Scout/Argo plug-in band modules.  The missing bands were
just too big an issue for me to seriously consider the Argosy.

I understand your concern about using a Scout/Argo as a CW rig.  The
RISC processor controls both the keyer and frequency stability, and
there were reports of some issue with that at higher code speeds.  Since
I am not a CW op this didn't concern me.

I had to delay getting the Argo just a little bit, but I can't wait
until it arrives...

As always, YMMV.

72/73,
Caity