[TenTec] ARGOSY II FEEDBACK

Ron Kerlin kerlin@ligtel.com
Fri, 30 Oct 1998 11:32:30 -0500

Alan...I recently acquired an Argosy II (525D).  I first got it as a backup
for my base rig, and to use in the field.  I do a lot of qrp, and the
instant switch to 5 watts is nice.  My rig came with a nice set of cw
filters, the if 500 and audio 500 and 250.  They do about as well as my
Timewave dsp as far as allowing good copy.   VERY effective notch filter
that I use to take the edge off atmospheric qrn, as well as offending cw or
heterodynes.

The rig is very slightly larger than the Scout, and is very easy to open up
for service/adjustment.  Very complete manual.  The diode qsk is
*excellent*, no clicking relays.  Power output is more than adequate at 50
watts max.  I get excellent signal reports on both qro and qrp.  Usually, if
I can hear them, they can hear me.

I have found that I am using the Argosy nearly all the time, and my base rig
is gathering dust!!

The only thing that I didnt like about the Argosy was the initial popping of
the agc during cw receiving.  There is a simple, 10 minute mod that involves
replacing an electrolytic capacitor with one of a larger value.  This
eliminated the annoyance in my rig.   Bands are: 80, 40, 30, 20, 15, 10.
(no 12 or 17)

Overall, it is a very nice, well-built rig that performs every bit as well
as anything currently available at a cost of approximately $3-400.00
depending on condition and options.  Wish I had found the Argosy years
ago!!! IMHO, it is a rig that one cannot go wrong with.

73 de Ron/kb9lsh