[TenTec] Omni and 87A

Jim Reid jreid@aloha.net
Sat, 19 Sep 1998 14:46:30 -1000

Well,  I have had it for nearly 24 hours now.  Still fussing around
learning,  no QSO's yet.  Want to be pretty familiar with things
before I jump in the water,  hi.

Ok,  I cannot get the VI+ and the 87A to do their thing.  I have
tried using the 87A in the keying loop a la Ten Tec linears.
The result,  whenever  the rig is on,  it is transmitting!!  I
connect the Omni TX Out to the 87A relay in;  and the
87A  "c"  key output  back to the Omni TR EN.  And it
is keyed continually ON,  no matter what state the
87A is in;  Standby or Operate.   There is no response
of any sort from the 87A,  other than it indicates RF
power passing through,  but,  if the Omni is on 20 CW,
and the 87 was last on 40,  that's where the 87 stays.
So the indication from the Omni to the 87 is not taking.
When the RF output is continuous from the Omni,  and I
press the CW key,  the sidetone appears and follows
the key,  but the RF out is constant.

 From what I read about
the Omni Control Board on pg.. 4-16 in my manual,  this
should work,  I think.  The manual text says,  "the Logic
board generates a transmit acknowledge voltage at
connector 63.  This drives Q11 which  sends the key
signal over to the Relay on the 87A, as I read it.  Then
the 87A would send the key signal back into the Omni
TX EN connector,  and we should be off an running.

On the Corsair II,  I connected my key signal directly to
the 87A Relay input;  and then keyed back to the
Corsair II key input from the "c" key output of the 87A;
that seemed to work fine.  Again,  tried this with the
Omni,  and it didn't work either.

So what have I overlooked?

Puzzled,  73,  Jim,  KH7M