[TenTec] Omni QSK with Alpha's 87A QSK

Paul Christensen paulc@mediaone.net
Sun, 20 Sep 1998 18:52:53 -0400

Jim:

I'm not sure my messages are making it to you through the reflector.
With one simple mod to the Omni Six's Control Board, you can accomplish your
goal.

This is my third post relating to this today, but I'll repeat it again: The
Omni's Q16 can be modified to key your Alpha 87 silently and with ample T/R
time to ensure that hot switching does not occur, but not so much that QSK
performance is compromised.  See my previous post for an explanation on the
steps involved.

To answer your question, the Omni outputs an "open collector" at the TX OUT
terminal.  Simply, put it goes to circuit ground when keying occurs.  The
Omni's TX EN line also wants to see an "open collector" from a mating
Ten-Tec amplifier.  The purpose of this unique circuit is to precisely time
the T/R switching circuit and thus prevent amplifier hot-switching.

Yes, it would be great to use the TX OUT terminal.  Don't.  If TX EN is left
open, the Omni will not key.  One may be tempted to split the output in two
directions.  Don't.  Isolation will be compromised.  The jumper is required
when an amplifier is not in the enable loop and isolation will be
compromised if the jumper is broken for this purpose..

The Good News:

A new TX OUT line is created with the modification I spoke of.  In fact, the
base of Q16, through R29 is connected to TX OUT after the modification.  Q16
then provides the fast, necessary key line to your Alpha 87 and isolation is
maintained.  Don't try to overcomplicate your situation by trying to use the
TX EN line in conjunction with the TX OUT line.  It's not necessary.

If you follow this technique, you will be more than happy with it ANY CW
speed when using your Alpha 87.

-Paul, W9AC