[TenTec] TenTec/ Harley

Steve Ellington n4lq@iglou.com
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 13:53:44 -0400 (EDT)

I must agree. Collins makes the worst possible filter for cw. I've had old
75A4's, S lines, and finally an FT-1000mp. I fell for Yasesu's bait and
paid a fortune for their Collins filter. Man did it stink! QRN and normal
band noise drove me to the point of selling that thing. I went back to an
Omni 5. The same is true of all other filters. They emphasise the the wide
band noise, peaking it up at the center frequency. CW tones are masked
under all that garbage.

> difference and Tentec does it better than Collins. I have both. And
> nearly all the rest of the world's crystal filters emulate both the
> frequency and time responses of the Collins filter (with emphasis on
> shape factor, neglecting time response) so users of those filters in
> rice boxes have to quit radioing when there's a bit of static because
> all they hear is extended crashes while Tentec users hear only clicks
> from lightning static.

Steve Ellington N4LQ
N4LQ@IGLOU.COM