[TenTec] TenTec/ Harley

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson, P.E. geraldj@ames.net
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 11:08:45 -0500

I disagree that Collins mechanical filters are better. They are NOT
better for the real world with static and rapid time noise. They are
super for radio interference rejection and have a terrible time
response. The will ring for long enough that line noise is not heard
through them as a buzz, just as a greatly raised white noise level. On a
scope the filter ringing stays there to fill in the gaps between arcs
that happen every 1/360th cycle (from a three phase power line). The
output of a Collins filter from lighting static is a CRASHHH that goes
on and on. The output of a Tentec filter is a click... There is a
difference and Tentec does it better than Collins. I have both. And
nearly all the rest of the world's crystal filters emulate both the
frequency and time responses of the Collins filter (with emphasis on
shape factor, neglecting time response) so users of those filters in
rice boxes have to quit radioing when there's a bit of static because
all they hear is extended crashes while Tentec users hear only clicks
from lightning static.