[TenTec] filters

Peter Inskeep pinskeep@iglou.com
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 14:50:43 -0400

Scott,
As I have an Omni VI +, rather than a V, I did not initially reply.  However,
how much difference can there be in the two as far as filters go, since they
apparently use at least some of the same filters.  I have all Ten-Tec filters.
The first IF (9 mhz.) has a 1.8 khz and a 500 hz filter in each of the two
available positions.  When ordering the 500 hz filter I asked Ten-Tec if they
thought I would gain a lot with the 250 hz filter instead of the 500.  They
said not much that I would notice.  Others have said otherwise.

The 2nd IF has 1.8 khz, 500 hz and 250 hz filters.  I am also a 99% cw op, but
got the two 1.8 filters because I want to try to change that over time (ie.,
the Ten-Tec Sunday nite net at 6:00 Eastern.).  I seldom find it necessary to
cascade any two of the filters together during casual qso's.  If there is a
station close by, however, I will cascade the 1.8 in the 1st if with the 500 or
250 in the 2nd.  If that does not work well, I then go to the 500 in the 1st if
with whatever in the second if.

I'd agree with N4LQ's comment on using all available filters during a contest -
but I generally am on the 20, 15 or 40 meter bands in a contest.  Unlike Steve,
I never placed anywhere in a contest, so I can't speak with authority.
However, I suspect that Steve could place second with his old tx-100 if it
could play on 160.  Another way of saying that the op is more important than
the rig in a contest, I think.

In summary, I think that there is little need to go down to the 250 hz filter
in the 1st if unless you are real serious.  If you want to do the most to
eliminate crud while copying cw, I'd set it up so that in some combination you
can put two 500 hz filters together when you need to.

I have no experience with Inrad Filters, but would love to fiddle with a rig
that has one or more, some day.

Pete, NO2D
Pewee Valley, KY