[TenTec] Mobile Power Wiring and Plastic Bodies

Shawn Upton supton@eece.maine.edu
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 09:57:38 -0400

I don't know how mobile antennas are created these days, but for plastic
bodies/bicycles, would some sort of helical-wound dipole work?  That way
a ground plane wouldn't be needed.  It'd take some work to build,
winding your own helical.  Or maybe going to some place that sells cheap
CB antennas (short ones), and figuring out how to connect the two bases
together to make a dipole, and then using a balanced line tuner.

Speaking of that, maybe I ought to try that out on my bike.  I have the
1340 already, just haven't used it for anything.  (No balun yet to make
a decent antenna, and my cw skills, well, skills are not the word for
it.)  I plan on building a rollup J-pole for 2m and encasing it in pcv
for the bike, and that way, when I do public service events in the
future, I can move around a bit.

Who else has built the 1340?  Has anyone modified them?  I've heard of
putting a multiturn pot on the frequency control.
Shawn Upton
Electrical Engineering Student
University of Maine at Orono
webpage:  http://www.eece.maine.edu/~supton/