[TenTec] Re: Alternate Power Switching

Carl Hyde cshyde@yahoo.com
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 07:32:56 -0700 (PDT)

OK All you guys who are experimenting with burning
your houses down, PLEASE STOP IT. Don't connect 10
power supplies together and don't connect a Battery up
to your Ten Tec power Supply in any way shape or form.
Use a hi amperage rated cutover switch such as those
available at Motor Home and Camper dealers for
switching between batteries. They are rated for high
current and your house will still be standing the next
day.  Even on January first 2000 when the world ends
there will be no ham radio emergencies that require
any radio to be immediately switched from the now dead
forever wall outlet to your backup battery.  And since
the world will run out of gasoline for backup
generators within three or four days you have what, oh
three days of good hamming before your battery is
dead?

You can't be sure of the proper polarity of the power
supply and ground loops. It is dangerous and
unnecessary. Battery acid from a cracked or exploding
battery also really tics off wives and mothers who's
floors and carpeting are now ruined.

--- Roy Koeppe <royanjoy@ncn.net> wrote:

> This concerns (loosely):
>
> Hi, Gentlemen:
>
> I've just purchased a battery system to serve as
> backup to my Ten-Tec
> station.  Power from either the power supply or the
> batteries would be
> switched with a SPDT switch.  Would I be correct in
> connecting the (-)
> terminals on the battery, the rig and the power
> supply together, and
> switching the (+) of the battery and power supply
> via the switch, to the
> (+)
> on the rig?  Does that make sense?
>
> Regards --
>
> Mitch  KJ4DX
>
> Mitch, et al,
>
> I want to toss out this thought to the group. It's
> well known that many
> rigs don't like the marginal voltage from a 12V
> battery, especially when
> not optimally charged.
>
> Well, how about this principle. Use two 12V batts in
> series. Even el
> cheapo, 'Chevy' batts. Connect the batts, via proper
> fusing, directly to
> the basic AC power supply's main filter caps. Yes,
> ahead of the
> regulator circuit. Now, providing that the
> unregulated voltage at the
> filter caps matches the correct batts float voltage,
> the batts  will be
> automatically charged at all times the AC supply is
> turned on. When a
> power failure occurs, there is NO switching
> required--it's automatic!But
> the BIG bonus to this scheme is that the 24V batts
> will be REGULATED
> down to the normal 14V just like the raw, basic
> supply voltage is during
> AC operation. The rig is blissfully unaware, running
> full normal power.
> (For filters using other than 24V, use a combo of
> cells, e.g., 18V = 12V
> + 6V Chevy batts).
>
> Get my madness? Please refine this concept?
>
> 73,
>

> Roy     K6XK      Iowa
>

> --
> FAQ on WWW:
> http://www.contesting.com/tentecfaq.htm
> Administrative requests:
> tentec-REQUEST@contesting.com
> Problems:
> owner-tentec@contesting.com
> Search:
> http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search.htm

===
Carl S.HYDE
W2CSH

Eagles May Soar, But Weasles Never Get Sucked Into Jet Engines!

Politics: From the Greek word Poli, meaning many and
the word tics, meaning blood sucking parasites.