[TenTec] Hercules II Power Source

JEFF S JOHNSON aa8ve@juno.com
Sun, 26 Dec 1999 12:03:19 -0500

Steve,
If your secondary positions are any distance you'll need *very large*
conductors. The voltage drop at 14 volts DC over a long distance is a
real problem. Without getting the books out I don't think this is even in
a realistic realm if we're talking about the Hercules Amp. I'm just
thinking about a straight 100 watt rig.

  I've thought about the same thing (With a 100 watt rig) and ended up
using a power supply at each station and use the battery back up at only
one. You can by another power supply for the cost of that wire.

 Another idea is to invert the battery DC to 120VAC through an inverter
and then back into a regulated power supply at the station. Having an
inverter around is handy anyway.

If you do want to run the Herc.  Amp it would be better to leave it at
the battery location and just control it remotely from your secondary
locations.

73  Jeff   aa8ve   Waiting for the ball to drop!

On Sun, 26 Dec 1999 08:32:15 -0600 seweber@netnitco.net writes:

> Jim and the list,
>
> The replies that have been posted to the list about heavy duty
> battery
> power supplies and chargers have been very interesting.  Might I
> suggest
> that you also give the gents at TenTec a call and pose the same
> questions,
> then post a summary to the list?
>
> I am planning to create two secondary operaton positions in my house
> that
> will be powered from my basement shack via heavy cables, and this is
> the
> perfect time to go with battery backup.  I would love to know the
> train of
> thought that led to their recommendations.  I am very curious,
> (although my
> wife says I'm just nosy!)
>
> Have fun.
>

> 73 de Steve Weber, KD9BO
> --
> An infinite number of rednecks
> in an infinite number of pickup trucks
> firing an infinite number of shotguns
> at an infinite number of road signs
> would eventually produce all of Shakespeare's plays
> in Braille.
>

> --

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.