[TenTec] 1220 vs. new Japanese rig

Caitlyn M. Martin caitlyn@netferrets.net
Sun, 26 Dec 1999 12:45:23 -0500

Hi, everyone,

It's a long story, but I need a new 2m mobile for my car.  I have pretty
much decided to go buy one of the new $170-$180 Japanese rigs with 50 watts
and all the features, but...  if I could have an American made rig,
preferably a Ten Tec, I'd really like it better.  OK, my friends here think
I'm nuts for willing to spend what a new rig costs on someone else's built
5w kit, and maybe they're right, but...  I may do it anyway if one of you
has one you are willing to spare that is working properly.

My upper limit on price for one with the mounting and mic. is $200.  I know
some of you feel, perhaps rightly so, that you should be compensated for the
cost of the kit and your labor to build it, but let's face it, I can get a
superior rig for less money, so there have to be practical limits, not to
mention the ever-present limits on my budget.

Oh, and before I am flamed for not building one myself, while I assume that
I could learn the skills necessary to do so given time, the one thing I
don't have in my present job for the big blue company is time.  It's why I'm
not on the air all that much, either.

So... right after the Y2K in sanity is over I'm going to put that new rig in
my car.  Anyone care to make it a Ten Tec?

73,
Caity
KU4QD