[TenTec] On Contact Cleaning

Walter S Delesandri walt@jove.acs.unt.edu
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 19:14:48 -0600 (CST)

Thanks, Stuart, for reply.....

Yes, I've feared that the "oily" WD-40 film would attract
more dust and environmental contaminants, but was also
worried about the "darkening" (in color)  of the "fiber"
wafer switch material....I have one KWM-2 that I did with
carburetor cleaner and a small amount of WD40 several
years back (before I even saw De-oxit)....never had a
problem with switches, but I re-cleaned them with
'gun' cleaner and then put de-oxit out of paranoia...
these wafers are still "darker" than the 'untreated'
ones, but was my main rig for the last 4-5 years and
no problems of any kind.....did the same to pots years
ago, still no problems....

As I say, I've changed to De-oxit, but wonder if past
use of degreaser-plus-small amount of WD-40 really did
any damage in the long run?  In fact, I've only broken
one switch wafer (thank God it was only a Heath tube tester)
and it was "dry" -- perhaps the 'oily' film makes the
wafers less brittle? or does it deteriorate them over time?

May never know.....

Walt