[TenTec] Paragon I evaluation?

Bill Lewis w8hvx@ismi.net
Sun, 03 Jan 1999 13:49:42 -0500

At 08:45 PM 1/2/99 -0800, you (Clark Turner) wrote:

>Anyone have the Paragon and can compare it to the Corsair II
>and/or OMNI VI (or OMNI V)?  I like both SSB and CW operation,
>and am not a contest operator.  I like to SWL too.

Hello Clark,

I have both a Paragon I and an Omni 6, opt 001 on my operating desk.
I have been very pleased with both rigs as well as TenTec service.

Both units were bought used. During my ownership, the Paragon had to
be returned once cuz the phase locked loop would jump out of lock on
80 and 160 mtrs.  The problem was bad solder joints on one of the
PLL boards.  The unit was fixed, returned promptly and I was charged
a resonable price.

The OMNI is an outstanding CW rig and also allows me computer rig
control using DX4WIN... another fine product.  I feel the CW dsp
is incredible and does better than my timewave box (which I have
"put away")   I do have slight clicks in the cw headphone monitor.
I understand there are some fixes for that and TenTec is working on
that problem.  The audio clarity on SSB was not good until I carefully
realigned the master oscillator and BFO oscillators using an accurate
frequency counter per instructions received on this reflector.

The Paragon actually still sounds better on SSB. General coverage is
a plus.  I use both units in occasional (not competitive for me)
contests.

I presently would not part with either rig.
(I also have a Collins S-Line  which is on "antique" display and not
used for day to day operation.

Hope this helps.

>From a very satisfied TenTec user.

Bill    W8HVX