[TenTec] DSP Units?

Clark Savage Turner turner@safety.ics.uci.edu
Fri, 08 Jan 1999 06:11:52 -0800

Hi Ross:

You know, I just had a DSP 59+ in my shack for a while and
then I had the NIR-10 with latest (version 4) firmware.  They
are cool for fiddling with, but did not quite increase the
s/n ratio for my ears by much.  I just was not impressed
with them when the going got rough.

When the going was fairly smooth, these units can kill the
background noise, and on SSB, that can be a nice effect.
However, the price was all sorts of strange audio artifacts
that my ears did not like.  BUT, then, you have to count me
in as one of those picky guys who hears and does not like
the micro chirp, so your mileage may vary with these little
audio artifacts.

The CW filtering sure is sharp, but the Corsair with a good
filter is not shabby :-) .  IF I WAS a Corsair II owner
and wanted a bit better CW selectivity, I would go buy the
INRAD filters for the 6.3 MHz IF and that gives you something
you can sink your teeth into :-) .  $110 each, though.  I
used them in my Corsair I for a while and found them to be
a bit better than the stock Ten Tec 282 and 285 filters.

73

Clark
WA3JPG