[TenTec] Re: weight v ratio (I think)

Michael O. Hyder Michael O. Hyder" <N4NT@wireco.net
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 20:47:09 -0500

Hi Gang--
Here's more than I know about the weighty controversy.
Mike
-----Original Message-----
From: Michael O. Hyder <N4NT@bigfoot.com>
To: Steve Ellington <n4lq@iglou.com>
Date: Tuesday, January 12, 1999 1:59 PM
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Re: CW Practice on Omni

Hi Steve--

When W9TO designed his keyer, what he did was use two multivibrators.  Dots
were sent with one of them.  A dash was sent by bridging the gap between two
dots with the other one.  I would imagine similar logic is in use even in
the fanciest of chips, that of making a dash by filling in the space between
two dots.  If this is the case, what you are adjusting is the dot-to-space
ratio when you adjust the weight.  Whatever the resultant time is for an
'inter-dot space' will also be the time of an 'inter-dash' space.  The dash
will be equal in length to two dots and the space between them, regardless
of the weight setting.

Mike