[TenTec] Re: CW Practice on Omni

Steve Ellington N4LQ N4LQ@iglou.com
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 22:30:04 -0500

In the old days, to adjust the weight on a keyer, I would put an ohmmeter
across the keying relay, set the speed up to about 40wpm, hold down the dot
lever and adjust the weight control for 1/2 scale on the meter. This was the
accepted practice and I believe can be found in the ARRL Handbook.

This worked fine for REAL transmitters but when "timed sequence keying",
transcievers and QSK came along, delay was introduced in the transmitter
which shortened the characters and forced us to increase the weight of the
keyer.

>From scope patterns I've seen, the TenTec rigs do induce some delay but they
make up for it on the trailing end and the result is a faithful reproduction
of the keyer. I think you would be safe using the ohmmeter in this case.
Don't bother trying it on a IC-706 or FT-990 !

An observation: The faster the code, the less weight you want. Why: because
it's easier to copy due to the fact that there is more time between
characters thus giving the brain more time to distinguish between dits and
dahs. Some keyers automatically decrease weight as speed is increased.

73 N4LQ Steve