[TenTec] any way to RIT a V

patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 04:59:16 -0000 (GMT)

RIT the easy way, via Omni-V 301 remote tuning head.

I got the 301 unit during a visit to TT at Sevierville. (Well, its a
long trip from UK if you don't actually buy something !) It attaches
via a Y-splitter to the serial port connection. (The other tail of the
splitter goes to my PC for logging time/frequency etc). Its not
as useful as you might think, because you also often need to access
the REV and A/B buttons as well ..... and in my case they are with
the Omni-V on the shelf above. But I keep it near the keyer paddle -
see below - and it works very smoothly.

Now I definitely do use it as an RIT control. I set A=B and turn on
"split". I can then follow the other station with A, whilst
transmitting on B, which hopefully stays on the original freq. If it
also had duplicate A and B buttons etc., it could be more useful. but
then it would probably need to be bigger. Turning it into a "301
mouse" (as per Steve, N4LQ) would be an over-kill, in my view....

I still think a separate, extra RIT control is still one control too
many as far as I'm concerned.

TIP: the 301 sits nicely on top of a small Tupperware box which I
"borrowed" from the kitchen, inverted and parked over the Bencher
paddle as a dust cover. I had only to hack a slot in the box side for
the levers. Keeps the Bencher clean and saves desk space in my
extremely cramped shack.

John G3JAG

E-Mail: patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk
Date: 26-Jan-99
Time: 03:56:33
John Crux
Consultant in product forgery - Asia and
Africa