[TenTec] Paragon PLL out of lock problem

Charlie Johnson k4zrj@mindspring.com
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 10:35:31 -0500

Hi all you Ten Tec gurus -----

I have a Paragon I, s/n 218, that I bought new in '89 I believe, that has
developed a slight problem. When the rig is cold, the message 'PLL OUT OF
LOCK' will flash once a second or so, only if the rig is tuned to a
frequency above about 22 Mhz. While the rig is still cold I can tune below
22 Mhz, somewhere around 21.5 Mhz and the PLL will lock and the rig will
work fine. On very rare occasions, it will occur no matter what frequency
the rig is tuned to. Generally if the rig is tuned to say 7.1 Mhz, I never
see the problem at all. The problem goes away after 10 to 15 minutes of use
(after it warms up good) and the rig will work normally. I suspect that a
good alignment would solve the problem, but I don't know if I want to try to
tackle that. At present, I don't have a service manual on the rig, nor, I
imagine, do I have all the required test equipment. I'm hoping someone else
has had a similar experience, and can point me to a particular circuit or
component to tweak. The only other option is to ship it back to TT, I guess,
but that would put me off the air :-(.

Any ideas, gurus?

Thanks and 73, Charlie, K4ZRJ