[TenTec] Omni-A not powered up for 7 years...

Rufus Laggren rufus@sfpcug.org
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 01:15:50 -0800

The boat I bought last year "came with" an Omni-A.  I have only recently
been able to take time to look at this radio.  It's been 20 years since
I was on the air or breadboarding, but as I recall, some parts,
particularly electrolytics, can die when not used over long periods of
time.

I would be most interested in suggestions on how to approach initial
power-up.  The rig runs on direct 12volt DC from a battery.  The
original owners manual may be available, but no service manuals, and no
bench or instrumentation beyond a DVM, and possibly a logic probe (if I
can find it<g>).  I will probably be contacting TenTec, also.

I would also be interested in references to any tech services - if the
rig appears to want to work, I will need somebody to "spec" it fully.  I
don't have the time or equipment to do any of that right now.  I am in
the San Francisco Bay Area, and when I approached a counterman at HRO
last weekend about this service question, I received very disappointing

TIA.  Rufus