[TenTec] "Shootout"

Al Gulseth agulseth@juno.com
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 18:28:01 EDT

Greetings:

I recently posted a message concerning a friend of mine who is looking
for a small "do-it-all" HF rig at a reasonable price. I had originally
suggested the Scout to him but have realized that there may be some other
possibilities which may be better in his case, so I am proposing a
"shootout" on this reflector among the Scout, ArgosyI/II, Elecraft, etc.
to gather information for him (he isn't on e-mail). Rig can be new or
used, factory assembled or kit. He is heavily CW, likes QRP, and would
like portability for camping (tent etc. but not backpacking) but also
would like a rig which can be used as a primary station at home.

A. For a rig to be considered, it must meet the following criteria:

 1. Must cover at least the "big 5" bands (i.e., 80-10M) SSB & CW with
30M and/or WARC bands and/or 160M a bonus

 2. Power output of 20-50W with easy reduction to QRP levels

 3. Good RX performance in heavy QRM etc. (i.e., FD/contests)

 4. Reasonably portable (his description is "cigar box" size) with low
power drain for gel-cell battery operation

 5. Priced within a "working man's" budget capability

B. Possible candidates:

 1. "Store-bought" (pardon the "Southern" term) such as Scout,
ArgosyI/II, Patcomm PC-9000, and SGC-2020 (I am aware that the latter has
received some bad press and may have some flaws)

 2. Kits such as Elecraft and S&S(?)

 3. "Vintage" such as FT-7, TS-130V, and Triton I

 4. Other?

When replying, if available please give info such as whether your
information is based on an early, mid, or late production unit of the rig
being referenced (if known); whether any factory or aftermarket options
or mods are installed (i.e., filters, noise blankers, etc.); and pros or
cons on it vs. other rigs. References to magazine reviews, websites, etc.
are also welcome.

TNX/73,

Al  WB5JNC