[TenTec] paralleling several dc supplies to increase I capability

George T. Baker w5yr@swbell.net
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 19:27:20 -0500

Lane, not to rain on your parade, but I suspect you have two chances of
hooking 8 diverse power supplies in parallel and having (1) it work and
(2) all your supplies remain smoke-free: slim and none.

Paralleling even two supplies of different design and implementation -
even though both are designed to provide 12 volts output - is extremely
difficult. Not only must their output voltages be equalized, but their
internal impedances as well.

The problem is similar to paralleling batteries - it can be done but with
difficulty - but considerably more complex. In the RV game, we frequently
parallel TWO 12-volt deep-cycle batteries, but only if they are of
identical makes and models and of the same vintage, preferably the same
lot number. One would never think of paralleling, for example, a
deep-cycle battery and a conventional starting battery.

With paralleled electronically regulated supplies, you will inevitably
end up with only a few - perhaps only one - taking the load and being
overtaxed to the point that they release their smoke and die.

Some may report that they have tried this with great success. You might
want to try it yourself with some fairly light loads and see what the
limits are. I would find another way myself before trashing good power
supplies.

72/73, George        AMA 98452		R/C since 1964
Amateur Radio W5YR, in the 53rd year and it just keeps getting better!
AutoPOWER Systems, Fairview, TX (30 mi NE Dallas)  Collin County
QRP-L QRP-ARCI FISTS NORCAL ZOMBIE ARS 10-X  33.2 N 96.6 W EM13RE