[TenTec] paralleling several dc supplies to increase I capab

John - G3JAG patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 11:04:37 +0100 (BST)

If you look into a TT 9420 100A supply (as I have had to do on numerous
occasions - until I found the dry joint) you will see that it is four
identical 25 amp supplies... These have to be set to within 0.1V of
each other (and mine stay that way once set). If they get out of
balance the supply quits.

The 20A Omni-V supply is taken from all four 25A rails, but uses
steering diodes to share the load and isolate the individual rails from
a fault on any one.

Generously rated and heat sunk steering diodes are part only of the
answer to paralleling things - if you must. Personally I'd rather have
a set of separate 25-30A analogue supplies than one mega-amp unit that
needs a fork lift to move it. The switch-on surge is another matter.
Treble the fire insurance and have a bigger supply cable put in by the
power company. Fit 6 inch nails in the fuse box. Buy some (dry)
extinguishers.

BTW I guess the Astron is very similar to some Far Eastern switch mode
supplies over here (same box, different label ??) I tried one and it
was like a sub-woofer. When I spoke or hit the key, there was a
seriously LOUD AC buzz. It was completely incurable, so I took it
back. The replacement - with a different label/box - just has a noisy
fan. I got so tired of it that I finally found the energy to haul out
the 9420 for a more serious investigation. Amazing what strange
symptoms can result from just one bad joint on a plug/socket
connector.

Analogue with over-current/over-volt protection, and no fans, is
the way to go. If it weighs less than 20 pounds its probably not big
enough.

73 John