[TenTec] D-104

Beamer, Jay JBeamer@PanAmSat.com
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 10:19:06 -0400

Well Jerry, as you stated, "in some SSB radios". I've been using a D-104 on
my Omni V for approx. 2 years with no negative audio reports. I know of
several others that use a D-104 on the Omni V or Omni VI with excellent
results also.

As for overdriving, in most cases, the overdrive condition is pilot error.
Take a listen across any band and listen to how many operators are
overdriving their xcvr with too much mike gain.

Unfortunately, on our Ten Tec xcvrs we don't have a meter to monitor ALC,
but we do have the LED. According to Ten Tec manuals, "just blinks on audio
peaks" is kinda subjective. I've always looked at the ALC indicator this
way, the more it blinks, the more the operator is screwing up!

So, there's my Thur. morning $ .02 (U.S.)

ciao,

Jay/KM6VX

-----Original Message-----
From: Dr. Gerald N. Johnson, P.E. [mailto:geraldj@ames.net]
Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 1999 7:15 AM
To: Rick Williams
Cc: TenTec
Subject: Re: [TenTec] D-104

Purchase and install a Shure R-5 element. Its a communications element
with less response outside the transmit filters and makes a better radio
system than the D-104 with its rising characteristic ever did. In some
SSB radios the D-104 actually overdrives the transmit audio and balanced
mixer with pitches that are outside the transmit filter and so leads to
difficult to cure distortion. I'm using an R-5 in my D-104 case, have
for a couple decades on S-line and now on Corsair II and the audio
reports are superb.

73, Jerry, K0CQ