[TenTec] D-104

H. M. Motley, Jr. hmmjr@erols.com
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 13:18:08 -0400

Check your facts about the D-104 being for CB.  CBer's may have adopted
it as their mic of choice but the D-104 was around long before CB was a
twinkle in the FCC's eyes.  I've seen it advertised in QST magazines
from the 1930's! Astatic took advantage of the CB demand and came up
with some features just for CBer's like the Golden Eagle finish and an
audio amp in the base so the CBer's could have their "power mic".  The
basic unamplified crystal element mic works great with all the rigs I've
had over the years (Heathkit, Drake, Ten Tec) and has very good
communications quality audio.  It may mot match up well with some of the
Oriental rigs which require a low impedance mic but I know it works
great with Ten Tec rigs. I don't know what the current new price of a
D-104 is these days but I see used ones at hamfests quite often for $20
to $40.  Now that's a STEAL.
Puck, W4PM