[TenTec] TT INRAD Filters

Clark Savage Turner turner@rome.ics.uci.edu
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 15:47:20 -0700

Without having the filters side by side it is hard to say
how the INRADs compare.  The specs show a little better
skirt and lower loss. I can attest to the lower loss,
not a big deal, but the Ten Tec gain equalization works
just fine with the INRADs installed, but did not quite
make it for the former NS filters (the S meter and AGC
would sag with he CW filters especially the 250's). I
was sold on the specs showing better stop band attenuation
and steeper skirts.  I got 'em all.  I also got theb 2.8
filters for SSB since I like to have better symmetry and
a bit more audio on that mode.  They are nice filters for
that.

Other more knowledgeable fellows on this list have mentioned
the difference in filter design and that the NS filters will
not smooth out the noise crashes as much as the INRADs, this
could be an advantage to picking out weak ones from under
static crashes.  I really want to hear this for myself at
some point.

The INRADs are physically much better built.  They are encased
in metal and have gold pins.

You won't lose with the Ten Tec (NS) filters, they're good
filters.  You won't lose with the INRADs either, they have
their own advantages.

Clark
WA3JPG