[TenTec] "LEST WE FORGET"

ken knopp k7zum@teleport.com
Sat, 1 May 1999 03:40:28 -0700

>   I consider $2600 outrageous for an antique that's the size of a 50's
>hi-fi and has to be bought factory direct, thus not supporting any
>local ham shops. ($1500 would put it more in the ballpark.)

this is an intresting comment, so a little history to those that do not know
why you can only buy Ten-Tec factory direct.
years ago Ten-Tec did actually did market there ham gear to dealers, they
were slowly going out of bussiness, that's when they took the approach of
buying factory direct only, a call to Ten-Tec answered my question, which
was, why did you guys go factory direct only, the answer was simple, seems
all of the "ham dealers" were pushing the japanese radios, and not the
american radios, so it seems that the american dealers were not supporting
there own local manufacture !
as the crew at Ten-Tec said, it was either go direct, or go out of bussiness
selling to the amateur radio market. For me, i sure am glad that they did
not go and do that ! as i have used all ot the other high priced radios on
the market, (which by the way, they are also just as big,if not bigger than
the omni-6,so i guess that makes them big old anitques to !) and i'll take
my omni-6 anyday !

73... ken    k7zum      a ten year very satisified owner of  Ten-Tec
gear