[TenTec] PC for Pegasus

John - G3JAG patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 01:37:15 -0000 (GMT)

I have an old DX2-66 486 with 64 meg of RAM; it runs Windows 98 very
nicely, thank you. It has 4 16550 serial ports and a PS2 mouse; it does
not seem to be significantly slower than the P-100 with 32 meg that I
use with my Omni-V for logging. (The P-100 also has 4 ports and runs 2
tncs 24 hours a day). But I would cheerfully move the 486 into the shack
if the P-100 quit. So the answer to your question is probably another
question. How much RAM do you have in the laptop ?? Note that the speed
of the serial interface is fairly trivial compared with the 486 cpu
clock speed, but there is no substitute for loads of RAM if you want to
run Windows faster than a crawl. I suggest 32 meg as an absolute
minimum.

Confession: I do not have a Pegasus. I just bought an Elecraft K2 kit
instead. OK; in future I will have to visit the T*T booth at Dayton in
disguise.

E-Mail: John - G3JAG <patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk>
Date: 12-Nov-99
Time: 01:14:23