[TenTec] (Somewhat off topic) Repairs, buying American

Caitlyn Martin caitlyn@netferrets.net
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 17:50:54 -0400

Hi, Reid,

> Stay away from the Japanese stuff!  It's bad for your health (when trying
> repair it or get it repaired) and it's bad for the country. :)

Actually, there is a gentleman in this area ( a retired engineer) who does
wonderful repair work at a reasonable price.  He repaired my NCG-15M and had
it back to me in a few days.

As far as it being bad for the country, I'm not sure I fully agree.  Sure,
it is always better to support workers in Tennessee or New York (Patcomm) or
Ohio (Drake) than in Japan.  OTOH, competition is a good thing when it
forces American manufacturers to release quality products.  I buy Ten Tec
because they make outstanding equipment.  I think Drake makes outstanding
receivers, and if they went back into transceivers, I might not be so loyal
to Ten Tec when and if I choose to buy something new.  OTOH, what if there
is *no* American equivalent?  If I want an all-mode VHF rig, I have to buy
Japanese, at least until the 526 hits the market.  If I want a rig (not a
transverter) for 23cm, then my choices are really limited, aren't they?

I read the November QST review of the Patcomm PC-9000.  Not exactly high
praise, was it?  SGC has had some serious criticism on the design of the
2020.  I won't buy American if it means buying an inferior product.
Thankfully, with Ten Tec around, it doesn't.  Unfortunately, Ten Tec doesn't
make everything I want for my shack, and no American company does.

I know Ten Tec as folks who read this reflector.  I'm about to place an
order, so you are making some money off me, even if I bought some of your
gear used.  Hey guys, do you want me to buy 100% of my shack from you?  OK,
if the 526 (which I plan on buying) is a success, look at building a similar
UHF all mode, maybe a tribander.  How about 420-450mhz, 902-926mhz, and
1240-1300mhz.  Nobody makes anything like it, and I'd bet the hardcore
VHF/UHFers, the sat. operators, and even a portion of the general ham
community who have never tried those bands would buy such a rig at a
reasonable price.  It might even help populate the 23cm and 33cm bands and
help save our ham allocations.

How about handhelds? You did it once with the 2591, and I take it that it
wasn't a success.  I carry a little Standard dual bander in my purse.  There
is no American equivalent.  Make one and I'll buy it.

Does anyone else share this sentiment?  Does anyone else feel they buy
Japanese mainly out of lack of choice?

Off my soapbox...

73,
Caity