[TenTec] (Somewhat off topic) Repairs, buying American

Jim Lowman jmlowman@ix.netcom.com
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 09:54:20 -0700

Caitlyn Martin wrote:

> I buy Ten Tec
> because they make outstanding equipment.  I think Drake makes outstanding
> receivers, and if they went back into transceivers, I might not be so loyal
> to Ten Tec when and if I choose to buy something new.  OTOH, what if there
> is *no* American equivalent?  If I want an all-mode VHF rig, I have to buy
> Japanese, at least until the 526 hits the market.  If I want a rig (not a
> transverter) for 23cm, then my choices are really limited, aren't they?

Drake equipment is also very good.  I still have my R-4 and T-4X from
1966,
when I was a new ham.  I don't intend to part with it, although the
temptation was there over the years.  In fact, I'd like to get my hands
on
a nice R-4C, preferably with the Sherwood mods and INRAD filters.

T-T is on the right track, with the all-mode 6/2m transceiver.  Perhaps
if they are successful, there will be other bands in the future.

The 902 MHz band isn't all that popular here in southern California.
Seems that there's considerable interference from LoJack transmitters
and wireless LANs.  We still have a couple dozen Cushcraft Yagi antennas
for that band here in my department, left over from an abandoned
wireless LAN project.

I'd like to see T-T be successful with the 526.  If nothing else, it
might get some of our Technician Class amateurs to go beyond repeaters.
A few years ago, my wife set up a 6 and 2 meter SSB station at the
local club's Field Day, and there was considerable interest.  There is
an enormous market for this sort of radio.

I have to admit to the temptation to sell the Icom 706 (original model)
and buy either the 706MKIIG, the FT-100 or the FT-847, to gain the
70 cm all-mode coverage.  Yup, Japanese, for want of an American model.

One problem with these Japanese radios, though, is that we're paying
for HF coverage to get VHF/UHF.  As primarily an HF operator, I'd rate
the above radios at a beginner level.  That's where my new Omni VI+
comes in.  It's a shame that Yaesu dropped production on the FT-736R -
6m, 2m, 1.25m and 70 cm all-mode in the same box, with no HF.  If one,
used and in nice condition, comes up for sale, I'd be tempted to buy it.
The other problem is that these Japanese radios are expensive so, again,
my hat would be off to T-T if they can beat the competition on price and
performance.

> I know Ten Tec as folks who read this reflector.  I'm about to place an
> order, so you are making some money off me, even if I bought some of your
> gear used.  Hey guys, do you want me to buy 100% of my shack from you?  OK,
> if the 526 (which I plan on buying) is a success, look at building a similar
> UHF all mode, maybe a tribander.  How about 420-450mhz, 902-926mhz, and
> 1240-1300mhz.  Nobody makes anything like it, and I'd bet the hardcore
> VHF/UHFers, the sat. operators, and even a portion of the general ham
> community who have never tried those bands would buy such a rig at a
> reasonable price.  It might even help populate the 23cm and 33cm bands and
> help save our ham allocations.

Agreed!

> Does anyone else share this sentiment?  Does anyone else feel they buy
> Japanese mainly out of lack of choice?

Yes and yes, but VHF/UHF only.

73 de Jim - AD6CW